Thursday, January 26, 2006

You Stupid Honkies

Okay, I let it go for a while, but when I'm walking down Magazine Street and am confronted with row upon row of shops advertising T-shirts that caricature Ray Nagin as Willy Wonka, I feel compelled to say: Shut up, you stupid (hipster) honkies.

Are you so ignorant of black culture living in a black city that you don't know Chocolate City is a Parliament song?

You are aware that Parliament is not merely a brand of cigarettes, but a funk outfit -- er, band?

That the song WTUL has been pumping since the MLK Day spectacle, the ones with lyrics that include the phrase "chocolate city," is the actual reference you're looking for?

That the Willy Wonka thing just ain't particularly funny or relevant?

I'm talking to myself again.
- Allen Ginsberg

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

to be honest, i don't think nagin listens to parlament. i believe he cited god and MLK, not clinton, as his sources for the phrase "chocolate city."

5:10 PM  
Blogger Burnt Notions said...

Maybe not, but that's where it comes from - unless god wants to weigh in here and take the credit...

God: No, Lisa, politics is the devil.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Feeling Blue in a Red State said...

I saw George Clinton and the P-Funk all Stars one 4th of July in Tampa. They fucking rocked my world for close to 5 hours.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home