Friday, October 14, 2022

Punch Lines

Reflecting on this era of strange employment I've been experiencing after a long, sane, enjoyable career amidst editors, teachers, production people, I have now had 4 jobs "put on hold" by a company recruiting through a good agency that, however good, was also beholden to that company, racking up 2 of these holds in the last 2 months, right in a row, and then

there is the opposite problem of this era: what goes on at the job when you finally get the job. 

I am glad to have a few remaining sane, professional editing clients, though I am also sorry they, once the norm, now appear to be exceptions to the norm, at least here living this era of strange employment (or was it estranged employment, and which is worse?)

During this era, I once interviewed with a total of 15 people across 4 panels or something, only for the hiring manager to crinkle her fussy little face at the end, during what in this parlance would be termed our 1 on 1, and tell me, "Well, we're not necessarily looking to hire right away."

Strange era